A “Parenthood” Writer Says Good-Bye To “Parenthood”



via BuzzFeed

After more than 100 episodes, writer-executive producer Sarah Watson considers the end of the beloved and bittersweet NBC family drama and looks back at how she was saved by Parenthood. “Let’s go home.”



Jenny Chang / BuzzFeed


Back in mid-October, when I turned in the script for tonight's episode of Parenthood, this is the email that I sent to the show's creator, Jason Katims:


Today I typed Fade Out on my last Parenthood script ever. I'm kind of hoping you'll have lots of notes so that it's not really over.


I'd actually told Jason I'd have it for him a few days earlier and I'd never missed a deadline before — I'm a little like Julia Braverman (Erika Christensen) that way. Truthfully, the script was done on time. Because, OK, when it comes to deadlines, I'm a lot like Julia Braverman. But this deadline was different, because as soon as I turned in that script, my time as a Parenthood writer would be over, and I wasn't ready for it to be over.


So after forcing myself to finally hit send, I grabbed my iPod, cued it up to my playlist of Parenthood songs, and took the dog for a walk through the rain to process this spectacularly huge moment. Was I being melodramatic? You bet your ass I was. But when you've spent six years of your life writing for the show that has become synonymous with Kleenex and ugly crying, you learn to embrace your feelings.


And I was feeling… actually, I don't even know how to articulate what I was feeling. I guess there's some irony in there. Six seasons writing the emotions of the world's most annoyingly expressive family and this one moment had me emotionally stumped.



NBC / Emily Orley for BuzzFeed




View Entire List ›



No comments:

NEWS