Laverne Cox Reminds Us That #TransIsBeautiful In A Lovely Tumblr Post About Caitlyn Jenner


via BuzzFeed

The Orange Is The New Black star wants to “celebrate all those things that make trans folks uniquely trans.”

Laverne Cox is a bonafide goddess and wonderful human.

instagram.com

Want proof? Just head to her Tumblr page, where she wrote this amazing entry about Caitlyn Jenner's recent Vanity Fair cover.

Want proof? Just head to her Tumblr page, where she wrote this amazing entry about Caitlyn Jenner's recent Vanity Fair cover.

Cox praised Jenner for her bravery but was also critical of news outlets that were all too quick to call out both herself and Jenner for their beauty.

lavernecox.tumblr.com

"What I think they meant is that in certain lighting, at certain angles I am able to embody certain cisnormative beauty standards," she wrote.

"Now, there are many trans folks because of genetics and/or lack of material access who will never be able to embody these standards. More importantly many trans folks don’t want to embody them and we shouldn’t have to to be seen as ourselves and respected as ourselves. It is important to note that these standards are also infomed by race, class and ability among other intersections."

instagram.com

As Cox noted in a recent Bust magazine interview, she's chosen a "high femme" presentation and she's happy with it.

"There’s something almost binary that suggests either you are moving against cis-normative, heteronormative, imperialist, white supremacist, capitalist patriarchy, or you are complicit with it. That kind of binary is really, deeply problematic," she said.

"I think it’s more complicated. I’ve gone through all sorts of aesthetic phases. I had a shaved head in college. I wore makeup and I was gender-nonconformist. I also had box braids and a mohawk in college and a little bit after. So I’ve gone through all these different phases aesthetically. I love where I’m at now. I feel like I’ve evolved into being more myself.

instagram.com


View Entire List ›

No comments:

NEWS