21 Most Feminist Things Shailene Woodley Has Ever Said



via BuzzFeed

Says she’s not a feminist; talks about patriarchy on the reg.



Steve Marcus / Reuters


Since Shailene Woodley said she isn't a feminist in early May, there's been a hubbub. The star of Divergent and The Fault in Our Stars took some flak when she said she believes in "sisterhood more than feminism," and she held her position on the term "feminist" in the Daily Beast , saying, "I know how I feel and I don't need to call myself a 'feminist' or 'not a feminist' because I know what my truth is." At a moment when a certain brand of disingenuous feminism is praised to an entirely disproportionate degree (Who run the world? STILL WHITE MEN, BEYONCÉ), maybe it's more important to pay attention to what Woodley is actually saying about women and the world than to whether she self-identifies as a feminist.



Via crushabledotcom.tumblr.com


"For me, one of the things that I'm so passionate about in life is empowering young girls to reconnect with their own power. There's this trend in society where, up until The Hunger Games, which was one of the first young adult series that did this, it was always the damsel in distress, or the girl having to change herself for love...there are a lot of movies where someone falls in love with someone else based purely on attraction, and there's no depth, and no conversation. It just feeds the fire of materialism, and feeds the fire of make up, and false attire, and whatnot. The one thing I really loved about Divergent is that Tris is a heroine and fights for what she believes in, is passionate about it, and is willing to risk her life for the greater good of humanity, but also, the relationship between her and Theo. I feel very proud to be a part of a franchise that doesn't exploit young love, and doesn't exploit what that means, and really treats it tenderly. They're more partners than they are lovers, and for me, that's what I want in my life."

— The Daily Beast




View Entire List ›



No comments:

NEWS